Blastin' and Castin' in the Texas Outdoors

We havea lot of good times, the road was a drug when we started way back, our wheels rolled on steady, now its forgetting the race to find an open space and leaving that city far behind We’ll be up in the morning before the sun, since anything beats working on the job and everyone knows the early worm gets the fish. The world is your oyster, let the high times carry the low, walk where the sun is shining, lay your burdens down and think to yourself that it sure feels good feeling good again.


Monday, November 29, 2004

Thanksgiving Whitetail Hunting

Happy Thanksgiving!

As some of you know I had the opportunity to deer hunt on the peach/pecan orchard owned by Lindsey's grandfather in Louisiana. Thanksgiving morning I was busy driving the 7 hours to the bayou state but I saw dozens of deer in the pastures as we drove. After dispensing with the turkey, dressing, cranberries etc. I went out at pre-dawn after getting the low down on where the deer should be. The spot I had available to hunt was small, about 20 acres but I could not see all of it at once since there were no elevated observation posts and it was placed on quite a grade. It was extremely windy just as it had been in Texas before the holiday and that together with the full moon made hunting very difficult. I guess waterfowl hunting is open since I heard lots of shotgun blasts from the neighbor. Anyway, I didn't see anything bigger than a squirrel so I went home quite discouraged.

This year Brazos county opened deer season up to does as well for four days around the holiday (25-28) So Sunday morning I went to the pig hole to see if that pack of does was anywhere to be found. Abour 8:25 my hopes were answered when I came around thespotted a couple deer near the edge of the overgrown fenceline at the top of the pighole where there is the tree over the fence and we have a snare set. I was just saying to myself that the doe was about to die as I set up for a nice supported shot when all three deer took off into the pasture and then made a big loop back toward the fence and went over right where they had the last time I saw them out in this area. I was depressed and suddenly I saw another deer come down the pasture toward the does, a young buck. I quickly moved the crosshairs over to him, he was turning away from me headed toward the spot where they jumped the fence.

I lightly yelled "bleah" attempting to sound like a doe bleat. the young bucks head spun around and he took two steps back toward me before the .270 roared. He bucked and then wobbled around for a moment before falling.

Forensic analysis showed that I hit the very bottom of the lung in front of heart, my bullet actually hit the sternum it was so low. I woudn't expect a single lung shot to drop him that fast so I imagine that shock of a bullet hitting its sternum after flying for only 75 yards must have been enough to stop the heart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.bactexas.com
Site
Meter <