Blastin' and Castin' in the Texas Outdoors

We havea lot of good times, the road was a drug when we started way back, our wheels rolled on steady, now its forgetting the race to find an open space and leaving that city far behind We’ll be up in the morning before the sun, since anything beats working on the job and everyone knows the early worm gets the fish. The world is your oyster, let the high times carry the low, walk where the sun is shining, lay your burdens down and think to yourself that it sure feels good feeling good again.


Monday, November 08, 2004

surfside 11/06-11/07

My in-laws wanted to spend a weekend on the beach so Michelle made arrangements for us to spend Friday & Saturday night in a beach house at Surfside. We arrived around mid day on Friday to find flat surf and clear water. We put out the surfrods right in front of the house for a few hours but we only got one bite and no hook-ups.

On Saturday I bought some fresh mullet and we rented a kayak so I could get the baits out farther. Fishing was really slow and I was starting to get worried that we wouldn’t catch anything. Right before the aggie game we get a hook up and Larry battles the fish. It was putting up a good fight but it seemed different. Finally I caught a glimpse of something I hadn’t seen before. It was a jack crevalle. Everybody, including me was pretty excited about that. Larry said it was the biggest fish he had ever caught.

We didn’t have long to wait before another hook-up. This time I talked michelle into fighting the fish. This one seemed to pull even harder and michelle tried to give me the rod back but I declined. I think she enjoyed it.
”mich”/
Eventually she dragged another jack onto the beach.
”jack”/
Larry and I stayed out and listened to the aggie game. We caught a small sharpnose shark and called it a day around 5:30. I couldn’t believe that we didn’t catch a redfish but I was happy to get the jacks.

There are a couple more pictures:
http://www.brianandmichelle.com/pictures.php?catid=32

2 Comments:

Blogger steven-hoffman said...

did you release the Jacks or did you cook one up? It is my impression that they were not really great cuisine.

They fought quite ferociously didn't they.

It is totally cool that you could hook Michelle's dad up with the biggest fish he has ever caught

1:42 PM  
Blogger brian said...

We released both of them. I was under the impression that jacks are inedible but I've never known anyone to give it a try. Maybe I should keep one for shark bait and cook up a piece one day.

I think Larry might have the bug now. He was talking about wanting to do this again in March. He also expressed an interest in catching sharks.

I was a little disappointed that I gave the rods away both times when I saw that they were jacks. I've been wanting to catch one for years but I would have done the same thing again. From what I could tell they were putting up a great fight. Michelle kept telling me that the line was going to break or she couldn't hold on to it. It also took Larry a while to get his in and it seemed like he was applying pretty good pressure.

By the way, I was using the large Kahle hooks. Those hooks kick ass!

4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.bactexas.com
Site
Meter <