Blastin' and Castin' in the Texas Outdoors

We havea lot of good times, the road was a drug when we started way back, our wheels rolled on steady, now its forgetting the race to find an open space and leaving that city far behind We’ll be up in the morning before the sun, since anything beats working on the job and everyone knows the early worm gets the fish. The world is your oyster, let the high times carry the low, walk where the sun is shining, lay your burdens down and think to yourself that it sure feels good feeling good again.


Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Hog Hunting in Gause (Milam County, TX)

Yesterday Brian (a plant breeder whom I have classes with) and I decided to head north to chase some critters after we got out of class at 1:30. So, we went to class completely camoflauged up and as soon as class let out we kicked the tires and lit the fires.

We first went to the pig hole that Chris and I have been hunting right off of Highway 21 West of Bryan in Brazos County. We took the tour and inspected all the traps. We found some fresh rootings but saw nothing.

We then headed up further north up Highway 50 to Gause where we met Jeff about 3:00 or so. We made certain that all of our firearms were in adequate working order and gave brian a chance to shoot his .38 for the first time ever. Or so he claims, he shot extremely well for a first time.

We drove directly to the main ranch and parked at the southern most entrance, we walked in past the dilapidated house and swung further to the south and then walked down the pasture, overgrown with goat weed toward the bottom where pigs are most typically seen. When we were about half way down the pasture Jeff spotted a number of pigs moving from right to left along the far fence line.

I overreacted a bit and ran out to the left without laying out a plan with Jeff and Brian. I jumped the creek and ran way out to the left (North)in the next pasture and then advanced to the (East) fence line to cut the pigs off. I had hoped that Jeff and Brian would sneek up toward the pigs and it seemed as if everything was working perfectly. The pigs stopped in their tracks and milled around in nearly the same area that Mike F. shot his pig one night a couple years back. I went through an open gate in the fence and was now on the far side of the pigs, but not in the line of fire. I started to creep up toward the bunch of pigs when I noticed there was one small red one and about five black ones. Slowly the pigs pushed back across the fence toward Jeff and Brian. The .270 and the 30-30 let loose when I was about 80 yards from the pigs so I never even pointed the .44 at them, I am not sure of the shot distance. The pigs shagged it toward the woods to the south and made their escape. We searched the area for signs of a good hit but none were found. It was an exciting hunt and I was glad that brian's first pig hunt involved some action.

Chris Z shot a great deer Saturday, the rack was big enough for him to sit in! We are waiting for the story.


I am going to hunt next weekend if anyone is interested, Brian H. are you still going to be in town for the Texas Tech game?

2 Comments:

Blogger brian said...

Being familiar with that property I can imagine how that hunt went. Those pigs got lucky.

I was mistaken as to the weekend of the Tech game. My parents are visiting Houston this weekend so I will not be in aggieland. However, it looks like my next weekend might be free. Depending on the weather maybe we can organize a BACtexas hunting trip or a coastal trip.

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Superb blog post, I have book marked this internet site so ideally I’ll see much more on this subject in the foreseeable future!

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.bactexas.com
Site
Meter <