Blastin' and Castin' in the Texas Outdoors

We havea lot of good times, the road was a drug when we started way back, our wheels rolled on steady, now its forgetting the race to find an open space and leaving that city far behind We’ll be up in the morning before the sun, since anything beats working on the job and everyone knows the early worm gets the fish. The world is your oyster, let the high times carry the low, walk where the sun is shining, lay your burdens down and think to yourself that it sure feels good feeling good again.


Monday, October 18, 2004

Surf Fishing for Redfish and Sharks - Sargent, TX - 10-17-04

Red

I hit Sargent for another afternoon of beach fishing. I didn't have much action until late in the afternoon. This redfish hit cut bait as I was cutting the leader off of my other rod and packing up to go home. I usually pack up my rods last and for the last two trips this has paid off.

Lessons of the day:
Small baits catch big fish and big baits cause you to lose fish.
300lb mono doesn't last long in a sharks mouth.

I will probably go back to using smaller baits and wire leaders as a result of some things that I observed on sunday.

2 Comments:

Blogger steven-hoffman said...

This redfish seems to have a large, wide head in the photo, even by redfish standards. Was that really the case or is it a bit of an optical illusion?

I must admit that I am more than just a little jealous, I spent saturday morning at an arts and crafts show with my wife.

1:13 PM  
Blogger brian said...

That red had a big fat head. When I first saw the head come up on the beach I thought it would be a 40" fish. I didn't measure it but it was a lot shorter than that. It was a very heavy fish and fought well.

bummer on the craft show.

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.bactexas.com
Site
Meter <