Blastin' and Castin' in the Texas Outdoors

We havea lot of good times, the road was a drug when we started way back, our wheels rolled on steady, now its forgetting the race to find an open space and leaving that city far behind We’ll be up in the morning before the sun, since anything beats working on the job and everyone knows the early worm gets the fish. The world is your oyster, let the high times carry the low, walk where the sun is shining, lay your burdens down and think to yourself that it sure feels good feeling good again.


Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Rigging Large Baits

bait

Here is the bait that I used to catch the shark below. I finally decided to try the stinger hook because I have been having bad luck with my large baits with only 1 circle hook. The stinger hook was added using a piece of single strand wire tied to the eye of the first hook. I used a zip tie to hold the 2nd hook in place. It only took a couple of minutes to add the second hook.

This bait was hit once without a hook-up. The second time this bait got hit the stinger foul-hooked the shark in its pectoral fin.

6 Comments:

Blogger steven-hoffman said...

have you considered a treble stinger?

maybe not such a great idea if you intend to release the fish you catch but I think this method will increase hook ups

11:19 AM  
Blogger brian said...

I bet a treble hook would work great but I wouldn't use them for the reason you mentioned. Remember how much of an ordeal it was getting the treble out of Todd's bull red. If your trying to make a meat haul then the treble would be a good idea.

I wonder why my original post didn't wrap? It is kind of annoying.

12:52 PM  
Blogger Todd said...

Not sure why that didn't wrap. I'll look into it this evening, and get the bug worked out.

Cool looking rig.

1:14 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

I like the ty-wrap idea. No need to hook your bait again, which seems to lead to it getting torn up. Even without the sharks biting it.

Brian/Steve/Anyone else - I was talking to our mechanic this morning and he was complaning about having to work on six Coleman lanterns last night - fall flounder run. Anyone up for our own trip? With Julianne (JC) settled in, the chance to get away is looking promising. All my weekends are open for a while.

My gig is pulling double duty picking up empty aluminum cans. It yearns to spear a doormat!

2:41 PM  
Blogger steven-hoffman said...

I would like to hit the coast this fall but I need to warn you that deer bowhunting will begin this weekend. I can bowhunt a few miles from home so the conditions will have to severely favor fishing to hunting in order to get me on the highway.

3:25 PM  
Blogger brian said...

Hey Mike,

I bought a new coleman lantern that is bright as hell! I am ready to light up some floundas! Call me when your ready. I don't have any hunting obligations to distract me from fishing.

ps. the weather man says our first fall cold front is coming on saturday. aw yeah!

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.bactexas.com
Site
Meter <