Blastin' and Castin' in the Texas Outdoors

We havea lot of good times, the road was a drug when we started way back, our wheels rolled on steady, now its forgetting the race to find an open space and leaving that city far behind We’ll be up in the morning before the sun, since anything beats working on the job and everyone knows the early worm gets the fish. The world is your oyster, let the high times carry the low, walk where the sun is shining, lay your burdens down and think to yourself that it sure feels good feeling good again.


Monday, October 31, 2005

Trick or Treat, Happy Halloween Indeed!

Sunday:

I woke up early on fired up the coffee machine. Kissed my wife goodbye and headed to Normangee ahead of the sunrise.

I took the back way to IH-21 which loops past coulter airfield and as I rounded the bend I saw ahead of me with its head hanging into the road a large pig. I made a nice clean head shot with 45,00,000 grain projectile at approx. 44fps by putting the right wheel on the white line holding steady. One pig down before I could even get any coffee drank.

I cautiously braked to a stop and then went into reverse and picked up the 120lbs of meat.


I drove out to Normangee for one last victory lap before I get kicked off in lieu of deer lease hunters in November.
I went in from the North, around by the trap near the stock pond where I saw the crooked little four point buck. I then drove down to the creek where I found a sow (~100lbs) and three smaller pigs (35lbs) in the trap, that's what I call a treat. I grabbed the .22 Magnum and ended their incarceration.

Five pigs didn't seem like quite enough so I drove through the woods out back to the southern pasture where I didn't find any pigs but I saw a nice 10+ point buck and another nice buck (8 pointish) that was walking with a limp. I sure wish I could deer hunt out in Normangee!

First I Took the pigs home and showed them all how to cut leg quarters into two seperate roasts as I learned from Woody.

THen I excitedly took my camera to the computer to download the photos to show ya'll and I sadly found that there was no memory card and there were no pictures saved to the camera. A pretty nasty little halloween trick.

5 Comments:

Blogger brian said...

I hate that I missed out on that trip. I would have enjoyed being a passenger on the meat wagon.

That pile of hogs would have made a sweet picture.

7:20 PM  
Blogger steven-hoffman said...

I took the time to stack 'em up in front of the trap, laid my rifle behind them, it was a real Kodak moment

7:35 PM  
Blogger steven-hoffman said...

First of all,

I had a camera, I was clicking away, the images just weren't retained.

Secondly, that is two pigs I have taken with the Ford, In both cases it had 100% weight retention, and immediate knock down power but poor penetration.

2:46 PM  
Blogger steven-hoffman said...

I never even remember trying to sight in the 'Island Blue' Ford. although it was certainly a ditch buster.

The homemade grill guard came boresighted and I haven't messed with it since.

4:14 PM  
Blogger steven-hoffman said...

ahh....the memories come floating back through the muck and mire of my subconscience.

Thanks for the stumble down memory lane.



you are 100% right. The brown ford shoots much better.

6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.bactexas.com
Site
Meter <