Blastin' and Castin' in the Texas Outdoors

We havea lot of good times, the road was a drug when we started way back, our wheels rolled on steady, now its forgetting the race to find an open space and leaving that city far behind We’ll be up in the morning before the sun, since anything beats working on the job and everyone knows the early worm gets the fish. The world is your oyster, let the high times carry the low, walk where the sun is shining, lay your burdens down and think to yourself that it sure feels good feeling good again.


Tuesday, October 25, 2005

yall are gonna hate me but...

The period of time between Oct 13 and Oct 22 had to be one of the single greatest 9 day periods in my life to date. Let me explain...Oct 13 I bought a Colt Officers Mod in .45ACP for $250. Friday the 14 I cut outta work an hour after I got there so as to have extra time to drink beer at the airport before goin huntin with the boys. Once in the air, I got 2 Fosters and 2 Whiskeys for free. The hunting was foggy but fun, and yall have heard of my adventure on the return, seems funny to me now. When I finally got myself driven in to Amarillo, I found that my loving wife had picked up my luggage, cooler, and guns from the airport. She had also cleaned out the cooler (with bleach), separated the meat by cut, vac sealed, and stacked all but the tenders, a ham, and the heart in the freezer. My bag was unpacked and clothes washed, cammo separate. The next few days passed uneventfully, but somewhere around wed. or thurs. I came into the possession of some guns one of our contractors was looking to sell cheap. He asked if I'd take em up to the gunshow and I agreed. I went to the gunshow with his Manlicher .308 Ruger and Glock 19 (9mm) and my TC .22-250 (turns out I'm not as much a fan of the Thompson System as I thought I might be). Long story short, I left the gunshow with a total expenditure of $0.42. That being allowed to float $0.08 on a 50cent cup of coffee. I got in free as I shoot with the cops who work the door. At the end of 2 1/2 hours, I had bartered and sold my way through some amazing obstacles. I left with $650.00 in cash, exactly enough to cover the cost of the guns I was sent there to sell, PLUS....I'm now the proud owner of three new guns in two exciting new calibers. I got a 26" heavy barreled savage 110 chambered for .25-06, a 22" Remington 700 in .308 and the thing de resistance a Remington 700 Sendero set up in .22-250 which is proving to be a real champ in the shooting department.

6 Comments:

Blogger steven-hoffman said...

which of those calibers is un-exciting?

1:18 PM  
Blogger steven-hoffman said...

I can't believe you didn't even have to pay the full $0.50 for the coffee.

5:31 PM  
Blogger brian said...

Sweet!






bastard

5:42 PM  
Blogger steven-hoffman said...

I understand, why bother buying an all around gun like a .270 when you can afford a bunch of specialized guns. In Michigan the deer are big enough to warrant medium calibers and if they are farther than 100 yards away you can't see them through the trees. With that in mind I think you skipped a couple that I want to get:

.35
.375
.416
.44 or .45

I have seen my uncle drop a bunch of things with his Marlin leveraction .45-70 and I think it or .35 remington wouldn't be a bad one to own. The .45-70 is like a bulldozer out to 125 yards or so and I like to get that close before the shooting starts anyway.

1:29 PM  
Blogger steven-hoffman said...

The need for specialized guns is obvious, bullets with a diameter of less than .243 are not capable of killing deer and long range cartridges like a .270 don't work at close distances

1:47 PM  
Blogger steven-hoffman said...

Z-

Sarcasm,

Are you familiar with it?


Anyway, I love the mission and I am all signed up

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.bactexas.com
Site
Meter <