Blastin' and Castin' in the Texas Outdoors

We havea lot of good times, the road was a drug when we started way back, our wheels rolled on steady, now its forgetting the race to find an open space and leaving that city far behind We’ll be up in the morning before the sun, since anything beats working on the job and everyone knows the early worm gets the fish. The world is your oyster, let the high times carry the low, walk where the sun is shining, lay your burdens down and think to yourself that it sure feels good feeling good again.


Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Central Texas Guide Service a success

Friday,
Jeff, and I met at his house in Bryan and prepared for the weekend hunting trip and checked our individual list of supplies. We looked over the list of what the other had and thought of a few omissions.
Jeff headed to Normangee and I just stopped for a second at my house on the way out of town. As I was leaving my house with all the necessities Jeff called me from Normangee. Ooops, I am that late guy again. I took a call from Wooody and Chris saying they were in Buffalo. At least I would get there about the same time as the boys from Dallas.

I made a phonecall to Chris extolling the virtues of Credence Clearwater Revival Music and shortly thereafterWoody's truck passed me just as I turned on my blinker for the Normangee property.

We did the howdies and walked about six miles back down the road to inspect a road killed pig that Jeff said he saw. It wasn't there.

We drove back to the hunting grounds and parked in the back. We walked the creek to the east edge of the property and then headed south. Chris had just spotted a big bunch of pigs and we were closing the distance when a four wheeler came putzing around the corner and shagged them off into the woods. I called the landowner to see if it was him that was messing up our hunting
he said it wasn't him but he would be on the property later.

I headed up to the camp house and my truck to speak to the rancher who never showed up while chris, woody and Jeff waited down south. As I was returning to their location I heard rustling in the woods to my right, I peeked through a tiny opening in the brush and saw two pigs who immediately dove into the woods with a grunt. I looped around the woods to the south and could hear them inside with the sun setting rapidly.
I called my friends and told them to come up the the northern woodlot with the 'X' cut through it. Just as the boys were about the show up I got a call from the rancher saying that he was at the camp house and heard some pigs squealing, I said we heard them and were currently attempting to kill them.

When the boys showed up I met them at the south west corner of the woods, set down my rifle and took up a spotlight. We followed the squealing and rustling up to the north, just to the south of a small stock pond a single pig was seen fleeing into the pasture, It was illuminated by both lights, Chris and Woody both shouldered rifles and Woody's 300 Win. Mag brought the bacon to the ground immediately.

We continued to look for the rest of the pigs but they apparently melted into the woods. We packed up and headed to Gause sometime in the middle of the night so we could hunt Gause in the morning.

Saturday,
Woody and I wasted our time walking around the north ranch while Chris and Jeff went to the main ranch and middle ranch and had some sort of close encounter with a pig.

Saturday during the day we got the smoker going and smoked pork loins, venison tenderloins, italian sausages, a ham I had brined and some fillets of spanish mackeral. Saturday night Chris Woody and I headed back to Normangee. We hunted the dusk in the southern pasture, saw a nice buck and tons of other deer, we were returning to the truck parked at the edge of the southern woodlot when a bunch of pigs crashed into the forest. We hunted long into the early morning, we heard them squealing in the woods but could not get them to leave the forest or sneak through the forest. We drove around and put the spotlight on about a hundred deer.
Sunday morning Chris arrowed a deer just about like I did a few days ago. We cleaned it up and put Chris and Woody on the road with plenty of time to get the pig and deer meat to the airport early (I thought.

2 Comments:

Blogger brian said...

How did the brined, smoked ham turn out? Usually those kinds of projects benefit from several attempts.

8:08 PM  
Blogger steven-hoffman said...

The ham after brining and smoking was delicious, however it turned out much more smoked than brined.

I used a mixture of brown sugar, salt, cinamon, cloves allspice etc. It was very tasty in my opinion.

Jeff said that while it was good it wasn't unbelievable.

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.bactexas.com
Site
Meter <