Blastin' and Castin' in the Texas Outdoors

We havea lot of good times, the road was a drug when we started way back, our wheels rolled on steady, now its forgetting the race to find an open space and leaving that city far behind We’ll be up in the morning before the sun, since anything beats working on the job and everyone knows the early worm gets the fish. The world is your oyster, let the high times carry the low, walk where the sun is shining, lay your burdens down and think to yourself that it sure feels good feeling good again.


Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Gause is just full o' critters

Saturday:
First thingin the morning Jeff, Santos and I headed up to the main ranch to shoot some pigs out of Dr. Hann's front yard. We pulled up to the cattle guard which serves as the main gate as I spotted a pig running into the brush from where he had been rooting through a spot that until recently had held a grain feeder.

Having been busted we snuck up to the spot and looked for the now missing pig. We Then packed up and headed to the back entrance, we were walking to just about the spot where we typically see pigs along the fence when we heard a shot ring out from the area of the house and soon after a second. Walking up to the house Tyson said that we could have the pig. I walked up to it, still flopping and squealling I gave it a .44 caliber dose of settle down. This black pig with red hairs had a gruesome exit wound from Tyson's rifle (.270?) in the neck, just above the spine and another hole through the the intestines.

I demostrated for Santos how to skin a pig, he twisted the head off and posed for the picture below.



Tuesday:

Nobody wanted to play with me so I flew solo on this one.

I headed to the main ranch arriving a few minutes before seven. I parked in the pasture outside the cattle guard and walked in. I went around the corner to the right and saw a solitary black pig slipping between the white cows and calves. I laid prone, and waited for a shot with a clear background. I felt an intense burning on my left elbow which I had put down into a nest of fire ants. I brushed thme off as quietly as I could, gritted my teeth and moved over about 8 inches, waited for the pig to pass behind one more cow, settled the rifle, pulled the trigger and watched as a Sierra 90 grain Jacketed hollow point smacked into the exact point of aim.

The pig ran about 20 yards in a large circle to the left and just as I was about to fire again it flopped on the ground. Later forensic examination would reveal a small hole in the near lung and no sign of a heart anywhere. Exit wound was about 2X bullet diameter.

I drove to the north ranch, went through the same gate that gave me a large pig last time and was I was passing the pond I noticed five does walking along the fence line. I dove into the backseat and grabbed an arrow and the bow, I got out of the truck and hid in the dried out stock pond. I collected myself moved the edge, stuck my head up and waited for them to move direclty across from me. I rose, drew and shot. The arrow quickly coved the 20-25 yard distance and surprisingly the deer dropped instantly. I went to the truck, and drove over, When I got closer I saw the deer had been spined (admittedly I was shooting for the heart but Oh well). At this time two of the other deer in the group came back to see what was up with their partner, I clapped and waved them away since i was already going to have a busy morning. From the sholders up the arrowed deer was alive so I gave her a .44 caliber dose of settle down just like Saturday's pig. I later had some apprehension about having in my possesion a deer with a bullet wound during bow season so I tried to quickly get it cleaned and put away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.bactexas.com
Site
Meter <