Blastin' and Castin' in the Texas Outdoors

We havea lot of good times, the road was a drug when we started way back, our wheels rolled on steady, now its forgetting the race to find an open space and leaving that city far behind We’ll be up in the morning before the sun, since anything beats working on the job and everyone knows the early worm gets the fish. The world is your oyster, let the high times carry the low, walk where the sun is shining, lay your burdens down and think to yourself that it sure feels good feeling good again.


Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Sargent - Trout Brown

I went to Sargent on Sunday for some late afternoon fishing. I fished from 1:00 until 7:00. When I got to the beach the water was brown and pretty choppy due to the steady East-North/East wind. All I could catch in my net was good size finger mullet. I was hoping for something bigger that I could use for cut bait. I was using 80lb mono and Kahle hooks hoping to catch some slot reds or maybe even a bull red. After 10 minutes my rod tip dances and goes slack. I reel my line in as fast as I can. I didn’t feel any weight but I could tell that I was skipping something across the top of the water. When I got closer I found out it was a 16” trout. Sweet! I didn’t expect that. 15 minutes later I caught another trout and then another. I was also catching some nice sand trout mixed in.

 

trout

When I ran out of finger mullet, I packed my rods up and drove back to the bait hole and caught some more. I also got two big mullets for cut bait. When I got back to my spot I noticed the tide was starting to fall pretty quickly and it was now getting to be late afternoon. Lately, I have been hooking some nice fish under these conditions. I put another finger mullet out and rig up my other rod with cut bait. I was chilling out drinking some beer and listening to the football scores on the radio when I hear my clicker screaming. I looked at my rod with cut bait but it wasn’t that one – it was the finger mullet that got hit. I tightened the drag and felt a good fish. It was give and take for a couple of minutes and then my line got cut. I re-rigged with single strand wire and put that rod back out. I also brought my other line in and changed the cut bait. I didn’t have long to wait before that bait got nailed. It was dropped almost immediately so I brought it in and then casted it back into the second gut. 15 minutes later I get a nice run and this time the fish is hooked.

shark

I think this is a blacktip but I could be wrong.

8 Comments:

Blogger steven-hoffman said...

Most excellent fishing trip!

I am not sure how to differentiate Bull sharks and black tips, either way that is a good shark. Why don't you have a pic of you holding him up for the camera before you released him?

I have certainly decided that live bait,especially finger mullet is great bait.

8:01 PM  
Blogger Todd said...

Damn...that is a nice lookin' shark! Looks like a damn fun time bringin' him in. There is really nothing to gauge his size by in the picture...what's your guesstimate? Nice catch!

10:07 PM  
Blogger brian said...

I know it was not a bull shark because the snout was way too pointy. There are several species of shark that are similar to the black tip but I think the black tip is the most prevalent off the beaches.

I'm not in the picture because I was fishing by myself. I couldn't find anybody in Houston who wanted to go. I would have liked a hand with that shark. I needed somebody to grab it by the tail and drag it up for me.

Can you believe that I didn't catch a single hard head or gafftop. The sand trout was the closest thing to a trash fish that I caught all day. This really was one of my better trips. Too bad I didn't have any company.

10:07 PM  
Blogger Todd said...

Testing 1..2..

10:36 PM  
Blogger brian said...

I'm not good at guessing sizes. It was close to my wingspan. I need to bring a tape measure with me from now on.

It would go berserk every time I touched it.

1:00 PM  
Blogger Todd said...

That's freaking awesome...I've never seen a decent size shark (over 3 ft. probably) "in the wild". Seems like it would be a blast draggin' one up on shore.

1:16 PM  
Blogger Todd said...

Did you release him, and if so, how?

1:17 PM  
Blogger brian said...

I stood on its pectoral fins so that it couldn't thrash it's head side-to-side. After removing the hook, I grabbed it behind its pectoral fins and carried it to the first gut. I gave it a shove forward while moving backward at the same time. At this point they frequently don't know which direction to go so I try to get out of the way.

You can also drag them around by the tail but they are surprisingly flexible and can come pretty close to getting you.

1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.bactexas.com
Site
Meter <