Blastin' and Castin' in the Texas Outdoors

We havea lot of good times, the road was a drug when we started way back, our wheels rolled on steady, now its forgetting the race to find an open space and leaving that city far behind We’ll be up in the morning before the sun, since anything beats working on the job and everyone knows the early worm gets the fish. The world is your oyster, let the high times carry the low, walk where the sun is shining, lay your burdens down and think to yourself that it sure feels good feeling good again.


Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Home-made flounder gig.

The guy gigging our flounder had a home made gig that I was impressed with. The business end consisted of two lengths of all-thread that he had ground into points. The advantage of all-thread is that you don’t have to reach under the flounder to pick it up. You can actually lift them straight out of the water because they stick to the threads. I saw it in action and it did work as advertised, however, the guy did admit that one had come off.

He also shaped a piece of tubing into a really nice lantern handle. I think a good handle would reduce fatigue on a long gigging session.

4 Comments:

Blogger steven-hoffman said...

The all-thread seems like it would be fairly reliable, not as good as a barb though, is there some reason we don't have barbed gigs?

More detail on the curved tube, lantern handle please.

8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve, there is nothing in the guide book that says you can't use a barbed gig on non game fish (flounder) but I think it would be very difficult and time consuming to use a barbed gig when your hands are already full if your walking. the allthread is great from a boat.

6:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the same opinion with most of your points, however some need to be discussed further, I will hold a small talk with my buddies and perhaps I will look for you some advice shortly.

- Henry

3:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just added your blog site to my blogroll, I pray you would give some thought to doing the same.

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.bactexas.com
Site
Meter <