Blastin' and Castin' in the Texas Outdoors

We havea lot of good times, the road was a drug when we started way back, our wheels rolled on steady, now its forgetting the race to find an open space and leaving that city far behind We’ll be up in the morning before the sun, since anything beats working on the job and everyone knows the early worm gets the fish. The world is your oyster, let the high times carry the low, walk where the sun is shining, lay your burdens down and think to yourself that it sure feels good feeling good again.


Tuesday, September 07, 2004

fishing but not catching

On sunday I packed michelle up and a couple of fishing rods and went to the usual spot. We left late and made a few stops so we got there fairly late. That is fine with me because I don't really enjoy being outside during the hottest part of the day. I drove along the intercoastal and found mud in all the usual places but this time I made a bad deicision and got stuck. I tried rocking my way out but all that did was pull my air deflector off the the bumper. We had to wait about 30 minutes for a truck wearing mud tires to come pull us out.
stuck


Fishing was slow. Finger mullet and cut bait was catching large gafftops and small sharks.
I put out a whole 8-10" live mullet hooked through the tail and got a really nice run but
the hook came out when I tightened the drag. Nearly the same thing happened last week.
I am wondering if I need to rig the big baits a little differently.

5 Comments:

Blogger steven-hoffman said...

Any permanent trouble with the air deflector? How did the wife handle the whole stuck in the mud episode.
I have been stuck worse, don't feel too bad.

6:17 PM  
Blogger steven-hoffman said...

Big baits may show better success if rigged with two hooks, one nose ring and the other through the tail. I have read posts that recommend holding the line between hooks to the body of the mullet with a rubber band

6:19 PM  
Blogger brian said...

The air deflector is held on with about 20 push pins. I only recovered about 4 of them but I anticipate it will pop back on once I get some more push pins. I believe it is designed to be taken off if you anticipate needing the extra clearance.

Michelle was not very impressed with my driving. Seriously though, the top layer of mud was dry. It really didn't look that bad. You can see from the picture that the ground 10' in front of me was solid. Another thing to consider is that you can't really steer when you get into that slop. I got sucked into those ruts and then it was just a matter of trying to maintain forward momentum. I should have been going faster.

I think two hooks on a large bait is probably a good idea but I am starting to develop a theory about circle hooks and large baits. More on that later.

7:47 PM  
Blogger steven-hoffman said...

Having been there and done that I must say that I truly believe that there are very few if any situations where going faster ever does anything other than get you stuck in a bigger hole further from dry, solid ground.

8:19 PM  
Blogger steven-hoffman said...

Those push-in plastic pins are available from any auto parts place real cheap, it will probably be impossible to re-use most of the old ones since they tend to break.

I have heard that the gap between the point and shank of a circle hook can get clogged with large bait. I bet kahle hooks are better for big hunks of bait.

8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.bactexas.com
Site
Meter <