Blastin' and Castin' in the Texas Outdoors

We havea lot of good times, the road was a drug when we started way back, our wheels rolled on steady, now its forgetting the race to find an open space and leaving that city far behind We’ll be up in the morning before the sun, since anything beats working on the job and everyone knows the early worm gets the fish. The world is your oyster, let the high times carry the low, walk where the sun is shining, lay your burdens down and think to yourself that it sure feels good feeling good again.


Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Circle hooks

circle hook

picture was taken 7-10-04

This is a mustad circle hook. I have been avoiding them because I think they are difficult to bait and if you do get a fish they are even harder to unhook. Because of the popularity of this style I decided to try it out. The jury is still out but if I catch a couple more like this then maybe I'll switch.

My favorite hook at the moment is the 8/0 gamakatsu circle hook. I think I will do a head to head comparison between the gamakasu and mustad.

What style do you guys prefer?

5 Comments:

Blogger steven-hoffman said...

I have a range of Daiichi "bleeding bait" circle hooks, I am certian gamakatsu makes a line of hooks painted red as well.

While the red color gets scraped off rapidly I have had much better luck with the circle hooks in red than the standard metallic finish.

Circle hooks are excellent for lazy fishing since they do not require any human activity to set themselves.

I recently bought a package that had a barb on the shank to keep the bait in the right area. They didn't work out but then again none of the rigs really worked out on that trip.

I have also had excellent luck with mustad "J" hooks on smaller set-ups

3:32 PM  
Blogger brian said...

Next time we get together I need to rummage through your tackle box. We should exchange some hooks and leader materials. I have so many hooks I can't bring myself to buy more until I use some up.

When I fish with finger mullet, my favorite hook is the Kahle style (also called Croaker hooks by Mustad). You don't miss many fish with that style but by design they are much weaker than other hooks. I think that is why you never see them in bigger sizes.

1:04 PM  
Blogger steven-hoffman said...

upon further investigation it has turned out that what I have always called "j"hooks are indeed Kahle hooks.

3:23 PM  
Blogger steven-hoffman said...

I would gladly trade some hooks for some high strength monofilament and some matching crimps.

7:50 PM  
Blogger steven-hoffman said...

I am not talking about trading 200yrds. of leader for one hook. I figure I need 1 maybe two of the big heavy leaders by the time fall rolls around and the big dogs start running up and down the surf.

6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.bactexas.com
Site
Meter <