Blastin' and Castin' in the Texas Outdoors

We havea lot of good times, the road was a drug when we started way back, our wheels rolled on steady, now its forgetting the race to find an open space and leaving that city far behind We’ll be up in the morning before the sun, since anything beats working on the job and everyone knows the early worm gets the fish. The world is your oyster, let the high times carry the low, walk where the sun is shining, lay your burdens down and think to yourself that it sure feels good feeling good again.


Wednesday, August 04, 2004

double hooking live bait / stinger hooks

When fishing walleyes up north they often short strike live bait. Meaning that they bite the tail off. I have seen this happen often with soft plastic baits here in the gulf.

To catch these short striking walleye the bait are often double hooked, once in the nose and a second small hook is used at the tail of the bait.

Likewise, when we were pursuing snapper they had a two hook system used on the bait fish. one up through the nose, the second hook attached to the eye of the first hook via a length of wire approximately the length of the bait. The hook was run through the bait where it laid flat against the body of the bait. I would say that they two hooks were aproximately equally successful at landing fish.

I know that most of the gulf's predatory fish are head strikers but Do you think that we might be able to increase our percentage of hookups by double hooking/adding stingers to our baits?

2 Comments:

Blogger brian said...

I thought about using stinger hooks for bigger baits such as a whole horse mullet. Two reasons I haven't been using multiple hooks is that I was worried about gut hooking a bull red or shark I didn't want to keep and I haven't had a problem with whole mullet getting bit in half. Sharks and reds don't seem to have a problem taking the whole bait in.

I think a stinger hook would be a good idea for lures when your fishing for trout flounder or spanish. They seem to shortstrike a lot. I bought some thin, single strand wire a long time ago but I haven't used it yet.

12:54 PM  
Blogger steven-hoffman said...

I concur about the horse mullet and the large fish.

It appears as if this is something which will require some degree of field research and empirical evidence.

The next time I go to bounce a mud minnow around the bottom looking for flounder I will consider putting on a small stinger

3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.bactexas.com
Site
Meter <