Blastin' and Castin' in the Texas Outdoors

We havea lot of good times, the road was a drug when we started way back, our wheels rolled on steady, now its forgetting the race to find an open space and leaving that city far behind We’ll be up in the morning before the sun, since anything beats working on the job and everyone knows the early worm gets the fish. The world is your oyster, let the high times carry the low, walk where the sun is shining, lay your burdens down and think to yourself that it sure feels good feeling good again.


Sunday, August 19, 2007

Shark-a-thon

First, this is Alan. Steve---get me fixed so I can post under my name.

Anyway,

I went down to Galveston on Saturday and caught untold numbers of fish. Macks, drums, croaker, pompano, pinfish, ladyfish, mullet, and mud minnows. It was a great time. I wish I had invited everyone else, but it was short notice. The bait of choice was a 12' cast net. and the biggest fish was a 14 inch mullet. You may be getting a little confused at this point, so I'll explain.

Chris and I think it is a good idea to chum the waters a bit for this tournament so I went south with cast net in hand.We have been figuring out all the ins and outs of chumming the surf without tangling and breaking off fish, and I think we have it down. Today, Chris and I spent about 3 hours grinding fish and mixing in menhaden oil, so I hope everyone can reap the benefits. We have two buckets of chum and will be deploying them on the outgoing tides.

Questions? Comments?

Finally, what is the final count on who's going? What is the earliest anyone can get down there? It would be nice to have camp already set up on thursday, then head back up the beach on friday to check in. That way we don't get caught up in the rush, and we already have a spot picked out before most people get there (I hope).

Chris and I have already paid our entry fee. Don't forget to do that before Aug 31. Also don't forget to get a license for the 07-08 season.

My plans are to come down from Oklahoma, pick up Woody, swing through Houston for my gear and whoever else wants a ride, and be at the beach some time around 2 or 3 in the a.m. on Friday.

6 Comments:

Blogger ~z said...

Bring your gear to me and I'll tote it down. There are shorter methods for getting from OK/Dallas to PINS without going through Houston, silly.

2:05 AM  
Blogger ~z said...

Additionally, I'm in, I'm paid, and I got my 07-08 tags (Aug 15 @ 8:05 in the AM). Who else?

2:11 AM  
Blogger steven-hoffman said...

i need your email address to send you an 'invitation'

2:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

adwatts@pbsj.com

10:37 PM  
Blogger brian said...

ok - will do

5:09 AM  
Blogger grunt said...

What we do for offshore snapper/ling/king/shark attraction is to take our menhaden and geind them up and dump the goo into a bucket with playground sand. We mix this into a slurry and then scoop it into ziplock bags. Next, freeze the bags and you're good to go. All you have to do now is tear the ziplock off the chum-rock and toss it in the water. These have a nice steady and slow release of what excites the fish without providing them with large enough chunks to get full, so they want your bait. Just a suggestion, but it works. Let me know if you try this method and how it works for sharking.

11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.bactexas.com
Site
Meter <