Blastin' and Castin' in the Texas Outdoors

We havea lot of good times, the road was a drug when we started way back, our wheels rolled on steady, now its forgetting the race to find an open space and leaving that city far behind We’ll be up in the morning before the sun, since anything beats working on the job and everyone knows the early worm gets the fish. The world is your oyster, let the high times carry the low, walk where the sun is shining, lay your burdens down and think to yourself that it sure feels good feeling good again.


Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Aug 3rd/4th Surfside beach

Friday Morning I decided that I NEEDED to smell some salty air. I called everyone I thought might enjoy an overnighter to Surfside but everyone was either “out of pocket”, headed out of town, or wouldn’t answer their phone. This turned out to be fortuitous since it lead to my meeting Ryan, a co-worker of Chris.

Like myself, Ryan had family responsibilities that meant he had to help put the kids in bed before we could blast off at 9:30 or 10:00. We hit the sand about an hour later and we were fishing at 11:00pm. The surf was flat and there was little current. We fished a variety of artificial lures including some stuff that looked like bubble gum that had come via a recommendation. I seem to remember sending out the surf rods laden with some cut bait but I am unsure how we got the mullet. I guess ryan threw his net that evening.

The wind shifted and it started to rain, there was no lightning and the rain was at least 10 degrees cooler than the Gulf so we wade fished out at the second bar, up to our necks in the pleasantly warm, calm gulf. We hooked up a couple hard heads and a few whiting. It rained very hard that night and doused the camp fire so eventually we decided to sleep and hit it hard at dawn.

Dawn brought very similar conditions, very flat surf, lots of jumping horse mullet and plenty of mullet schools swirling around, there were birds overhead and slicks were abundant in the gut just past the second bar. We spent several hours throwing live finger mullet off the second gut. Ryan landed a bonnet head of approx. 2 foot that would have to serve as the best fish of the trip. We had several solid hook-ups that tossed their hooks and I had a bite off. I think that there was an abundance of bonnet heads out there.

Regardless of the poor yield of fish I had a great time and I felt a lot better about life having been able to breathe some salty air. Friday Morning I decided that I NEEDED to smell some salty air. I called everyone I thought might enjoy an overnighter to Surfside but everyone was either “out of pocket”, headed out of town, or wouldn’t answer their phone. This turned out to be fortuitous since it lead to my meeting Ryan, a co-worker of Chris.

6 Comments:

Blogger ~z said...

Any reason for the double post? Realizing you have been below the average postings per month from back in the hay-days of mucho stuff to write about? Sounds like some good times were had. You still in for the PINS trip in Sept? No excuses, it is currently looking like we may finally have the whole crew assembled for a good serious and hardcore fisher-drunk extravaganza. Looks like we may have the FNG Ryan along for part of the goings on too. Current outlook is Wood, Tom, Alan, Brian, Kasey, yourself and myself. How freekin long has it been since we have ALL been assembled on the waters edge? My bachelor party I think, much of my mind was fogged that week I cant recall it I knew Tom and Kasey then…one way or the other, it has been too long and it will be good to assemble the crew again. So we are counting on you.

6:03 PM  
Blogger ~z said...

Pictures???

6:05 PM  
Blogger brian said...

Steve, after our conversation on Saturday I decided those conditions required me to be on Surfside beach as the sun came up on Sunday morning.

The conditions you described on Saturday did not last until Sunday morning. There was a 10 knot S-SW breeze that chopped up the beach. The first gut had pretty good clarity but the water between the second and third bars looked like a muddy river. All of the bait fish were hiding in the muddy water and there was no sign of predation. I fished lures and bait until I gave up at 8:30. I drank beer and ate the snacks that Michelle packed.

There were a lot of fisherman on the beach. I figured, like me, they had all heard how nice it was on Saturday and decided they had to give it a shot.

1:18 AM  
Blogger brian said...

Lets plan the september trip for the beginning of the month. My company was finally sold on Aug 2nd and I might have to move in a month or so.

No need to RSVP, I require everybody's attendance.

1:21 AM  
Blogger ~z said...

So...are you saying the PINS trip should not correspond with the timing of the tournament we are trying to fish? I have hard plans to be in W. TX Aug 31-Sept 3 for dove blasting. The Land Based PINS tourney is 7, 8, & 9 Sept and my fees are in. By my calculations, anything before the 15th is “the beginning of the month”. Let me know what your intentions are.

6:02 PM  
Blogger brian said...

I forgot about the Tourney. Those dates should be good. I think my new company will want me to be in Houston for a little while so those dates are ok.

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.bactexas.com
Site
Meter <