Blastin' and Castin' in the Texas Outdoors

We havea lot of good times, the road was a drug when we started way back, our wheels rolled on steady, now its forgetting the race to find an open space and leaving that city far behind We’ll be up in the morning before the sun, since anything beats working on the job and everyone knows the early worm gets the fish. The world is your oyster, let the high times carry the low, walk where the sun is shining, lay your burdens down and think to yourself that it sure feels good feeling good again.


Sunday, July 22, 2007

Surfside 07-22-2007



Michelle and I spent Saturday morning at Surfside beach. We left the house 10 minutes before 5 and got to the beach right at 6. Perfect timing and perfect conditions. The water was trout green and very calm. Perfect topwater conditions. I worked different topwater lures for at least 30 minutes. I expected a strike on every cast but I didn’t even get a swirl. I was seeing a lot of bait so I grabbed the net and caught two dozen finger mullet in one throw. I sent them back out on my surf rods with a small Kahle hook. I caught a 24" trout in no time. Fishing was slow after that but I managed to slide 3 more solid trout on the beach.

We also put some crab nets in the surf and did pretty well on those.

I was also hoping to catch some shark bait for next weekend - and I almost had a nice stingray on the beach but the kahle hook broke. Bummer.

2 Comments:

Blogger ~z said...

Sounds like you got a good pre-fish. Stingray hit the mullet too? That would have been handy for next weekend. Did you catch him early in the first gut? I'm thinking about picking up some squid and shrimp for that purpose. Looks like you ate well after that little outting.

12:44 PM  
Blogger brian said...

The stingray ate a finger mullet on light wire kahle hook. Probably a trashcan lid size ray. Gave Michelle a workout. Would have been very handy for next weekend.

Yes, the big trout came early in the first gut. Later in the morning I casted baits out past the first bar. Picked up a couple more trout as a huge school of baitfish came through.

We ate grilled trout and crab dressing last night. It was awesome.

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.bactexas.com
Site
Meter <