Blastin' and Castin' in the Texas Outdoors

We havea lot of good times, the road was a drug when we started way back, our wheels rolled on steady, now its forgetting the race to find an open space and leaving that city far behind We’ll be up in the morning before the sun, since anything beats working on the job and everyone knows the early worm gets the fish. The world is your oyster, let the high times carry the low, walk where the sun is shining, lay your burdens down and think to yourself that it sure feels good feeling good again.


Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Sargent - Saturday night


I couldn't get a hold of anybody for a last minute fishing trip to Sargent so I went by myself. When I got to the beach the tide was very low and still going out. I did a little surf fishing out of my kayak but I only caught two gafftops on a spoon. Late in the afternoon I went to the cut hoping to find trout in the outgoing tide but the cut was only knee to waist deep. I fished it for an hour and then went back to the surf and put out two surf rods. There was some weed but it wasn't bad. I casted two chunks of mullet into the second gut and started to get ready for the night. While looking for my lantern my Daiwa takes off. I hadn't heard that sweet sound in a while! My other rod starts bouncing and then slacks up while I'm working on the first fish. It turns out to be a very fat red. After a clean release I ran over to my other rod and found that there was another heavy fish on but it didn't have the same fight. It turns out this red was gut-hooked even though I was using circle hooks. I cut the leader and held it upright in the water until it was barely able to swim off. It is probably crab food but I just don't enjoy eating them very much.

The rest of the night was slow so I drank some beers and quit around midnight. At 0530 the locals started showing up at the cut. I decided to sleep a little longer before packing up and heading down there. Then I decided to make some coffee and throw lures in the cut for a while. Finally I decided to join the crowd on the sand bar at the mouth of the cut. It turns out that the everyone had been slaying big trout for about an hour before I got there. The feeding frenzy started before the sun came up and only lasted an hour. I saw some really nice stringers of trout. SHIT!!!

3 Comments:

Blogger steven-hoffman said...

I understand that fatty redfish aren't as good as those in the slot but I can't believe you would rather feed crabs than yourself.

Don't worry about missing the Sunday morning trout.

If you would have been up early then the feeding frenzy would have been about an hour after you left.

4:27 PM  
Blogger ~z said...

So how big was this pair of bulls you pulled out of the surf? No shark activity, surprising for this time of year. What were the locals catching the specs on?

2:16 PM  
Blogger brian said...

The reds were both the same size but the first one was a fatty. I would guess about 25-30lbs. I picked up a couple of small sharks on smaller baits casted into the first gut. I probably could have caught some bigger fish but I only made two more trips out to the second bar. The tide was coming in fast and the first gut was getting deeper. On the first trip it was waste deep. Second trip about stomach deep. Then chest deep the last time I waded out there. The tide came in all night long so the first gut would have been shoulder deep in the morning.

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.bactexas.com
Site
Meter <