Blastin' and Castin' in the Texas Outdoors

We havea lot of good times, the road was a drug when we started way back, our wheels rolled on steady, now its forgetting the race to find an open space and leaving that city far behind We’ll be up in the morning before the sun, since anything beats working on the job and everyone knows the early worm gets the fish. The world is your oyster, let the high times carry the low, walk where the sun is shining, lay your burdens down and think to yourself that it sure feels good feeling good again.


Tuesday, May 02, 2006

The Tally

Well, for the most part, those reading this were there to experience it so yall can chime in and correct me if I begin to stretch anything and hopefully someone can clarify the cloudy parts.

So we (Wood, Steve, Brian, and a few new guys Tom, Kasey, and Chuckles) headed to Matty for some fish-drinking. Rain Friday morning, pretty hard, we (Wood, Chuckles, and myself) opted to spend the rainy morning driving up the beach so as to take advantage of the hard pack the rain brought. We stopped to render assistance to a fairly newborn calf who was sunk in the surf with a pitiful look on its face. Woody pointed out the ethics of my “assistance” were questionable, so we opted to carry the critter out of the surf and beyond the berm…darn. The rain cut out and we decided to hit the bay…wrong, the rains returned as soon as we got our fish skivvies on, pounded us for another 20 mins or so. We grabbed another can of coast coffee and pushed on to the end.

The surf was looking questionable. Void of bait. We threw some artificials at the cut for a few hrs. a few bites but nothing up for commitment. I battled a bird’s nest for about 30mins while trying to avoid a few floating turds of a peculiar color. We bounced back over to the surf and finally shagged some mullet, well, a mullet, but he was a hoss of a mullet. I doubt you could throw him at a framed wall without hitting two studs (approx 16 inches or greater). Nipped the tail off and threw him out on one of my HD rigs (18+ft of 600# metal and mono w/ 16/0 hook and a coffee cup weight). Tom showed up a few minutes later, bearing refreshments. Shortly after the introduction/reintroduction scenario, we had a fish on…for about 7hrs. till tragedy struck.

At this point I’ll stand down and defer to Steve to explain how the fight ended, and interject any pertinent details of that and the following day.

5 Comments:

Blogger steven-hoffman said...

When I arrived the boys claimed to have been fighting a large stingray, shrimp boat, anchor or something for several hours. The line was down in the water and weighed down with weeds. We walked the line out clearing it of weeds and realized there was a wide flat sandbar at least 40yards wide at the top. We took the rod out and fought it there at the sandbar but gained nothing. Eventually the line mercifully broke.

Friday night was a blast but set up right on the corner was unproductive.

Saturday morning finger mullet was caught in the caney creek cut into the bay and we set up further down the surf. Fishing was slow but somewhat productive I know two 40+inch redfish were brought in as well as some small sharks, a couple whiting, and a few redfish that were right at the bottom of the slot.

Saturday morning I blasted off when the Kayaks were prepping to go paddle the bay somewhat unsuceesfully. Zeisloft claims the surf was productive that day. How did you do Saturday. Did you have to move up and down the beach to avoid seaweed?

1:18 PM  
Blogger ~z said...

Steve you were there ALL DAY Saturday, things foggy? Saturday Allan showed up and rescued me from having to push my truck home, note to self: don’t fall asleep with truck running & foot on gas. Fish were caught, the weed prevented a lot of fishing, but made catching the fish we caught pretty interesting. Guns were shot and chess was played while the weed was in high gear, both very fun. Saturday baked into Saturday night and the weed never completely let up. I sunburned the tops of my feet pretty good, but no crazy char lines this time. Sunday morning was weed free for the most part and therefore I caught some fish. Two slot (barely) reds fell to my crafty sit and wait presentation of cut mullet. A few whiting and undersized reds grooved on what weathered shrimp would stay on the hook and a sharp-nosed of about 40-42in felt that a 10in whiting made for good brunch food. He in turn made for good (not the best) dinner food. I bounced up and down the beach looking for structure to find these critters.

I have a strange desire to join the masses with the starvation rods and hit the end of the surfside jetty some time in the near future, possibly for an overnight gig just for old times sake. Generally speaking most folks go home at night so it should not be crazy crowded. Not sure when, sorta fishing for interested fisherdrunks…anybody?

3:13 PM  
Blogger steven-hoffman said...

Oh Yeah, that is how it went.

simple type there, should have read:
Sunday morning I blasted off...

4:49 PM  
Blogger ~z said...

Brian, Hows about some of them pictures?

8:28 PM  
Blogger brian said...

Kasey was the photographer on this trip. I will post pics when I get them.

For those that didn't get to see the bay I would like to add that the water was suprisingly clear despite the windy conditions. I noticed a lot more grass and deeper water than galveston/christmas bay. There was plenty of room to wade. This area should also be good for gigging.

I did manage a slot red (25") on friday night. I was using a tiny piece of shrimp on my bait catching leader. I was hoping for whiting but expecting hardheads so I was quite pleased.

12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.bactexas.com
Site
Meter <