Blastin' and Castin' in the Texas Outdoors

We havea lot of good times, the road was a drug when we started way back, our wheels rolled on steady, now its forgetting the race to find an open space and leaving that city far behind We’ll be up in the morning before the sun, since anything beats working on the job and everyone knows the early worm gets the fish. The world is your oyster, let the high times carry the low, walk where the sun is shining, lay your burdens down and think to yourself that it sure feels good feeling good again.


Monday, May 30, 2005

5/27 - 5/28

Around 2:00 on Friday afternoon my office mate Jeff declares, "I'm going home. I'm going to load up my jeep and drive to the coast. I'm going to build a bonfire, get drunk, and then fish all day saturday. Do you want to come?"

So after stopping to buy some fresh shad at the bait shop by the swing bridge, we arrived at the Sargent cut about an hour before dark. I threw plastics in the cut and landed two trout (one was legal). There were some other trout caught but it wasn't that many considering there were about 8 people fishing. We then moved to the surf and built a fire and set the rods out. We didn't catch anything that night but we were noticing a lot of crabs along the water's edge. We walked along the beach and picked up a bunch of nice blue crabs. Around midnight walking became difficult for me so we sat around the fire and drank some more.
crabs
On saturday morning I fished with cut shad. Nothing happened for the first 2.5 hours but then it turned on. We caught three bull reds in about 45 minutes.
2nd red
A guy next to us caught a really nice red but that was all I saw.

3 Comments:

Blogger brian said...

There were a ton of baby black tip sharks but no big boys yet.

There was also a lot of old seaweed in close but there wasn't enough current to make fishing difficult.

My friend Jeff eats the hell out of hard heads. He also fishes with double drop N-rigs but don't let that fool you. He is actually a white boy. ha ha.

7:30 PM  
Blogger steven-hoffman said...

it really bothers me that you can hear about the prospect of a fishing trip at 2:00 and have your toes in the sand by an hour till sundown....

8:09 PM  
Blogger brian said...

Hey, I used to live in Bryan too. I haven't forgotten what that drive was like.

It definitely helps to live 1.5 hours closer. I also keep my gear packed up and ready to go at a moments notice.

9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.bactexas.com
Site
Meter <