Blastin' and Castin' in the Texas Outdoors

We havea lot of good times, the road was a drug when we started way back, our wheels rolled on steady, now its forgetting the race to find an open space and leaving that city far behind We’ll be up in the morning before the sun, since anything beats working on the job and everyone knows the early worm gets the fish. The world is your oyster, let the high times carry the low, walk where the sun is shining, lay your burdens down and think to yourself that it sure feels good feeling good again.


Tuesday, May 24, 2005

The way I remember it..

Well, I’d like to say that I was the rootinist tootinist fish-slayinst feller on the whole third coast on that faithful weekend, however that honor goes to the man with the home field advantage…Brian (aka the guy who lost the roman candle war). I caught a flounder. I caught 3 whiting. I caught bait. And I caught a huge multifacited buzz. The prairie dogs didn’t work as well as I had planned, I believe, however, if these land dwellers had gotten out in the “good water” they may have done better. It is my firm belief that you gotta try something new from time to time. After all monotony is the mother of convention. (yes Steve that’s mine) I believe the quote of the week goes to Steve. “I cant drink now…I already drunk”
Thanks to those who showed as it was a good show. Looking foreward to the next big burn down fest, next time I fish hardcore, seriously...

3 Comments:

Blogger brian said...

I have a couple of random comments from the trip.

Who takes head shots when your having a roman candle fight? I had a scab on the back of my neck from that one.

I think if we had kayaked those prairie dogs off the beach things might have gotten interesting.

My favorite quote of the weekend came from my buddy but it was about Steve. He exclaimed "Oh my God, He is too drunk too fish!" Steve had just set the hook on a piece of coastline and in one continuous motion fallen backwards into knee deep water.

Firsts for this trip:
Prairie dogs, sniffing tobacco, eating rabbit, and bourbon mixed with mountain dew

12:36 PM  
Blogger brian said...

Who else has pictures? Lets see them.

12:40 PM  
Blogger brian said...

Definitely scale the flounder before you debone it otherwise it is a pain in the ass. Once cooked you can also just peel the skin back. Filleting is much faster.

The only opening is the one where its head and guts used to be. After separating the meat from the bones I break the spine at the base of the tail. Next I used welding gloves to grip the tail in my left hand and the bones in my right hand. Pull apart and voila.

This technique was shown to me by a fishing guide in La. He used an electric knife which might be easier. I have done it three times now. The first two looked pretty ugly. The third time looked really professional.

Never tried grilling them. I usually stuff it with a can of lump crab meat and bake in the oven.

2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.bactexas.com
Site
Meter <