Blastin' and Castin' in the Texas Outdoors

We havea lot of good times, the road was a drug when we started way back, our wheels rolled on steady, now its forgetting the race to find an open space and leaving that city far behind We’ll be up in the morning before the sun, since anything beats working on the job and everyone knows the early worm gets the fish. The world is your oyster, let the high times carry the low, walk where the sun is shining, lay your burdens down and think to yourself that it sure feels good feeling good again.


Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Fishing Cedar Lake / The Cut / Surf July 9-10

I left work a little early on Friday and headed to Sargent beach. When I got to the coast I found that it had been raining hard for most of the day but the skies were clearing. On the way down to the cut I found three drunks, in a 2wd truck, stuck in the mud. I pulled them out and continued down to cedar lakes. I didn't want to look back because I was pretty sure they would be stuck again.

The bay and the surf were completely muddy from the rain so I cancelled plan A (trout fishing) and plan B (flounder gigging). I talked to some surf fishermen who were packing up and they told me they had been catching bull reds and sharks all day. With daylight fading fast I caught some big mullet and set out two rods. My lines stayed out for about 45 minutes and then the tide changed and both of my lines were taken out by the seaweed. I packed up the rods and drove back to the cut to find another impossible fishing situation. Rafts of seaweed were being carried out of the cut at high speed.

I pulled out my lawn chair and waited for Wayne. I had a cigar and some Jameson whiskey for company. He showed up at midnight with Doug and set up lights and a generator. There was no sign of trout in the lights so we called it a night around 3am. Conditions did not improve overnight but the tide started going out while we were packing up. We decided to put out the long rods before completely giving up. Seaweed was not an issue on the outgoing tide and we were able to keep the lines out with very little work. We caught many large gafftop on cut bait and one 40" redfish. We fished until noon and called it a day.

1 Comments:

Blogger steven-hoffman said...

Does that Cut have a name? I know it isn't even on any of the maps I have. Perhaps if we went to Academy and Looked at a new Hot Spot map it would be labeled with a name.

5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.bactexas.com
Site
Meter <