Blastin' and Castin' in the Texas Outdoors

We havea lot of good times, the road was a drug when we started way back, our wheels rolled on steady, now its forgetting the race to find an open space and leaving that city far behind We’ll be up in the morning before the sun, since anything beats working on the job and everyone knows the early worm gets the fish. The world is your oyster, let the high times carry the low, walk where the sun is shining, lay your burdens down and think to yourself that it sure feels good feeling good again.


Friday, May 05, 2006

7mm-08 mounts boar hog





Well, it seems as though ole Steve has this hog stalking and killing down to a science. Lets start at the beginning…Steve got his hall pass for thursnight, so I shagged out of work and pointed the truck north. After about a 10-15 min deluge of golf ball and larger sporting spheres hail, a bout with Houston traffic, and a horrific urge to just pee in my truck (one nice thing about the Blazer), I met up with Steve.

We hit the pig hole, parked the truck and took to foot. We walked along the creek to the area where the .270 last barked, I asked Steve if he wanted to lead the way through the cane, his response: “Hell, I just shot a pig the other day”. Seemed like my cue to step up. I pushed through, and our “team hunt” just automatically clicked in to drive. I guess when you hunt together enough, you begin to understand each others strategies and capabilities, and come to expect a specific reaction in response to a certain action. This is the mind set that flitted into place as I pushed through the cane curtain. Steve loitered at a crossing for any critters that may spook out from my approach. I got about 60 yds in the thick stuff, creeping along, sometimes walking sometimes on the hands and knees, all the while keeping to the well used trail.

Uurp, uurp, wheee, wheee!!

Brain: That was about 70yds directly in front of me, Steve had to hear that. How can I get there fast? Are they moving? How many? Slow down, think…think, all that other stuff doesn’t matter; it will answer itself in time if the following questions are addressed: what is the WIND doing and how can I get there quietly?

Wind was easy to address, no wind. The quietly was tricky as they were on the other side of the creek which looked DEEP and steep, not a good cross for wading. On down a bit I came across a downed tree, crossed it, crossed back. I was within about 15-20 ft of them by the sound, but it was super thick, had I found a shot to take through the underbrush, there would be no second opportunity. I pushed on down, and finally caught the sound I had been waiting to hear: Steve. I kept one ear on Steve and one on the pork. I managed to push around to the opening and paused to check my hearing again as the opening provided more clarity to locating the source of the sound. Still good. Steve was, to some extent, following my trail now. Excellent. I pushed on around in a large sweeping circle, occasionally pushing up to the edge of the brush line. It seemed the sound is coming closer. At this point I reached and reached again for the pistol that was carelessly left in the truck…damn. I could see an opening in the brush but couldn’t see into it. I gained an elevation change in the crook of a skinny tree and peered beyond the tree line. They were moving. They were squealing and fighting, but moving. Steve was moving too. I leapt from my perch and set out on a hard run to a clearing some 90yds away, my proposed ambush point. I reached the clearing just as the pigs did, a paused, it sounded as though Steve had stalled. The grass was high and I realized my shot would have to be off hand and unsupported, my least favorite. The hogs were stirred up and came boiling out of the underbrush on a hard trot, barely a half a gear below a run. Maybe a dozen of them came into view and scattered to the winds as they hit the clearing, one chose to run directly away and stayed in my scope longer than the others. I found my only opportunity to be a “Texas heart shot”. I paused longer than I should have, weighing the options of not shooting and continue the stalk. Then the memory of the hogs crossing the road an hour earlier and getting nothing more than a groan from the pair of us kicked the trigger finger into high gear. I took the shot and scanned the brush for another helping of pork chops. I picked one up just as it plowed through the brush. I contemplated charging headlong in after them just as the report of the .270 froze me in my tracks. Then again. Now as the silence has been broken, we began the calling out game.

In my greed to pick up a twofer I did not watch the hog I’d shot. Tromping through the brush and shouting with Steve I did not notice the wounded hog till he rushed me and brushed my leg, I shot again. We found the hog still wiggling some 25 or so yards inside the cane curtain. Steve gave it the coop-de-grace on the side of the creek.

I will now stand down to allow Steve to tell his side of the events that transpired while we were separate and the tale of his heroics in toting that dude out of the cane.

4 Comments:

Blogger steven-hoffman said...

From:
“Hell, I just shot a pig the other day”

I slid off to the right looking into a clearing where I expected frightened pigs to appear at any minute. None materialized as chris slipped into the veil going kind of to the left. I waited a bit and then moved up the bank. Pigs squealed began to pour from the thicket to the south somewhere. I could hear them with MY ears from at least 20 yards further away than Chris. I knew this stimuli would have the quintescential redneck in high gear.

I moved southish and to the right keeping pace with the porky sounds and constantly being impeded by creeks full of cruddy water.

I got the the point when the sounds were clearly due left of my location, I closed the remaining distance rapidly as the squealing seemed to be reaching a crescendo. I knew I was getting close when suddenly I was met with a creek 10 yards wide and DEEP. The brush on the other side appeared impenetrable. The critters were right there I could hear them. I looked around for a stick to gauge the depth of the vile water I was considering wading through when I heard the report of a rifle. It was ahead and to the left of my current position. It was obvious that what he had been shooting at was coming this way. I took a knee and looked at the holes in the brush. I tried to time the appearance of the pigs in the two foot hole I had to shoot through from the glimpses I could catch. I tried twice and then gave up. I saw at least a large pigs and a gaggle of piglets tear through that opening at full speed.

I called to chris, corresponded with him, walked 15 yards, found a tree to cross the creek on. Just as I hit the terra firma on the far side I heard the rifle again. I called to chris and found him looking into an especially thick patch for a body. I swung around and found a pig with its back leg hanging off funny laying near the creek. I gave him another dose in the ear and after some spasms and cleaning I had chris carry my gun and lead the way as I got the pig up on my shoulder. Dragging didn't seem like a possibility through the thick undergrowth. Once out of the thickest stuff I dropped it and took a breath, I could see daylight through the tops of the trees but it was still a long ways off. After what seemed like miles I dropped him next to the road where it exits the south side of the forest along caney creek. I was sweating like a fiend, my pulse was pounding like a jackhammer, I was covered in blood, smelled like a pig and I thought it was wonderful.

We took pics, drove all the way to back of property, picked up the trailer, drove to front of property, picked up trap, noticed the toolbox missing from the front of the trailer so we started to head back to pick it up somewhere. Halfway there I realized my cellular phone wasn't were it was supposed to be. We retraced our stops and found it in the grass three stops back, at the original trap location.

We enjoyed a skinning party. 7mm-08 went into the right rear ham, missing the pelvis, completely pulverized the entire upper leg then went forward into the body of the pig where the fully upset copper jacket was recovered between the ribs and skin on the right side of the body. Awsome find.

Drove back through the woods found the toolbox in the back pasture, loaded everything up and headed for home just a little before midnight.

Misc. Detail:

We got into the woods right at 7:00 sunset is about 8:00.

4:51 PM  
Blogger brian said...

Good hunt. Were you pushing the pigs out of the cover or were they just carrying on oblivious to your presence?

Nice pictures. The 7mm is really giving it to that boar.

Those Normangee pigs are going to just disappear one of these days.

12:26 PM  
Blogger steven-hoffman said...

Pigs didn't seem to know we were stalking them until it was too late for one of them.

I don't feel that Normangee pigs should be classified as endangered yet, at least a dozen got out of the area when Chris and I started shooting.

1:10 PM  
Blogger ~z said...

we were pretty dang sneaky, I dont think they knew we were there till it started getting loud, they were moving around, but so were we.

I think it will be a while before they just up and disappear from that area, it has too much good piggy stuff.

And if you think the photo shows the 7-08 pouring the coal to that hog, you should have seen the hole that bullet wore through the piggys backside.

1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.bactexas.com
Site
Meter <