Blastin' and Castin' in the Texas Outdoors

We havea lot of good times, the road was a drug when we started way back, our wheels rolled on steady, now its forgetting the race to find an open space and leaving that city far behind We’ll be up in the morning before the sun, since anything beats working on the job and everyone knows the early worm gets the fish. The world is your oyster, let the high times carry the low, walk where the sun is shining, lay your burdens down and think to yourself that it sure feels good feeling good again.


Monday, June 21, 2004

june 21

My boss made the mistake of telling me on friday that he wouldn't be in on monday so I found myself at the surfside jetty this morning from 6-8:30am. I decided I would just make a morning trip and then show up at work just in time for lunch.

Here is the report.

There was a pretty good west/southwest breeze but that doesn't seem to have much affect on water clarity. I would say it was sandy green with pretty good vis. If the wind direction was south/southeast I know it would have been muddy. I should also mention that there was NO SIGN OF FRESH SEAWEED.

I tried the surf first but it was a little rough and the current was really strong. I drove back to the jetty where the surf was flat calm and the water was even better looking. There was a lot more people than I expected on the jetty but it was still pretty easy to find room. I tried a silver spoon (wire leader) for a while with no bites. I switched to a big red/white soft plastic fish imitation with 3/8oz lead head. On back to back cast I got the back half of the lure bitten off so I threw my silver spoon at them. They weren't interested. I went back to the soft plastics with more of the same results. I kept throwing the plastics thinking that at some point they would bite the hook. Never happened and after I started to run low on plastics I went back to the silver spoon minus the wire leader. I managed a small trout, bluefish, and spanish mackeral with this lure. I also hooked up on two good ones but they came off. It seems to me that these fish don't like the wire leader. As a matter of fact, I've never caught fish after switching to a wire leader. I've also decided that bluefish and mackeral have shitty aim. I always seen to hook them on the side of the face or on top of the nose.

Don't hate the playa, hate the game.

4 Comments:

Blogger steven-hoffman said...

I have never caught a bluefish, what do they look like?

I believe that the wire leader is visible to many of the fish and might mess with the action. I don't claim to be an expert though, since I have never once hooked anything on a spoon


My wife is going to be in Houston (Rice/Med Center) from June 11 - 23 so maybe we can meet each other in town and drive down to the ocean

8:56 PM  
Blogger brian said...

I hope you meant July and not june. Lets try to plan a trip around then.

A bluefish is like a saltwater pirannha. They actually get quite big on the east coast but they only get to be a few pounds in the gulf. They fight really hard and you better have a good hold of your rod when they hit.

I'm going to take all the wire leaders of my spoons and use 80lb mono instead.

9:31 PM  
Blogger steven-hoffman said...

My wife is gone in July not June

2:01 PM  
Blogger brian said...

Come to think of it, I think that was the first bluefish I have caughtin texas. I used to catch them more frequently in AL where the water is typically a lot clearer. I guess they are like mackeral and prefer cleaner water.

When I lived in AL I was fishing right next to a guy who was catching the hell out of trout. I was casting in the same place and kept getting all my lures bit in half. After about the 5th time the old salt told me I was reeling too fast. He said the bluefish were on top and they like fast moving lures. I let my lure sink to the bottom and worked it a lot slower and started catching trout.

3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.bactexas.com
Site
Meter <