Blastin' and Castin' in the Texas Outdoors

We havea lot of good times, the road was a drug when we started way back, our wheels rolled on steady, now its forgetting the race to find an open space and leaving that city far behind We’ll be up in the morning before the sun, since anything beats working on the job and everyone knows the early worm gets the fish. The world is your oyster, let the high times carry the low, walk where the sun is shining, lay your burdens down and think to yourself that it sure feels good feeling good again.


Monday, October 02, 2006

Alans Story


Saturday, the opening day of bow season, I tried to get someone to go fishing with me. Apparently everyone was too excited about killing deer. Anyway, I went to Galveston by myself and started fishing in my kayak around Stingray Island. Fish were everywhere. I think I caught about 30-40 fish of various kinds before noon. None big enough to talk about. I decided to head down to San Louis Pass. Here I was catching much better quality fish, but still nothing to talk about except the snapper. Unusual in such dirty water I also had out a line with a finger mullet in hopes of hooking something to put in the cooler. I decided if I was going to make it back to the truck by dark, I needed to leave around 6:30. At about 6:25, I had hooked about a 14 inch red and had just got him to the side of the kayak when my other rod went berserk. I just cut the line on the red, and grabbed my other rod and set the hook. For the next 30 minutes and about ½ mile, I just held on while it got darker and the truck got further away. Other people were heading to the dock, and a kayak in the middle of the bay is not a good place at night. I had pretty much decided to cut the line when it finally turned around and headed back the way we came. I still hadn’t seen the fish. I had ruled out shark because I only had 15 lb test, and it would have broke by now. Redfish was ruled out unless it was a world record. I thought the water was too dirty for anything else. More than anything, I just wanted to see the fish which in itself was difficult since it still had out about 200 yards of line and every time I gained an inch it would pull about 3 out. It continued on past the point of hook up and towards my truck, so I was pleased that I didn’t have to cut it loose just yet. However, it was pulling me directly towards some fishermen that were anchored. I was apologizing to them because they saw me coming and pulled their lines in to avoid a tangle. (Thank you if you are reading this) As I was saying a few words in passing, the fish finally gave up and I was able to bring it right up to the front of my kayak. Only then did I know that it was a Jack. At this point it had been about an hour since I set the hook. Fifteen minutes later I finally put the stringer through his mouth. By my guess, it pulled me a total of about 1.5 miles. It broke my previous personal “long fight” record by 45 minutes. It was also the first fish of any size that I have caught from my kayak. I look forward to doing it again soon.

4 Comments:

Blogger ~z said...

sorry p0aen99 this is a hetro page

1:11 PM  
Blogger ~z said...

as far as the Alan story goes, we had a wild eyed conversation sat. night and have determined we need to pull together another coast trip, soon. Anyone interested?

6:49 PM  
Blogger brian said...

Hell Yeah. We need to make a coast trip. Alan is bringing the shark Candy.

Nice catch from a yak, Alan. Now you just need to get a light for your boat.

12:32 PM  
Blogger steven-hoffman said...

Jacks are always so much fun to fish. Too bad they don't taste very good

1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.bactexas.com
Site
Meter <