Blastin' and Castin' in the Texas Outdoors

We havea lot of good times, the road was a drug when we started way back, our wheels rolled on steady, now its forgetting the race to find an open space and leaving that city far behind We’ll be up in the morning before the sun, since anything beats working on the job and everyone knows the early worm gets the fish. The world is your oyster, let the high times carry the low, walk where the sun is shining, lay your burdens down and think to yourself that it sure feels good feeling good again.


Monday, August 22, 2005

One less pig in Gause

Gause has once again proven itself to be a highly productive source of protein for those willing to rise early enough to shoot a hole in a pig.

Jeff and I left Bryan at Six and we proceeded directly to the main ranch to walk around and look for a good place to drop a trap. We entered the ranch by the main entrance, came past the house adn went into the low pasture and were quietly making our way down the creek when Jeff heard some squealing from back behind us.

We went down to the point where the creek meets the woodline and crossed back over the barbed wire fence. We were advancing toward a stand of bamboo like weeds when we heard the pigs squealing the dense brushy woods. There were two areas open enough to see and shoot pigs, one to the left, the other the right.
I heard one shot but no squeal just as I was entering the clearing in the brush, I hunkered down and waited for the thunder of the herd but it never came. I heard another shot ring out and I went looking for Jeff.

I did not have high hopes, two shots and no death squeal sounded like bad news to me.

I went to the left and when Jeff had took the right, he intercepted the delicious black critters just before the creek and was able to track one in the rear of the group through the brush and when it got into the clear Jeff gave her have a 130 grains of copper jacketed lead through the neck. Jeff said the standard sized (65-80lb) pig dropped in its tracks without a sound. Jeff knowing a downed animal when he saw one pursued the rest of the herd of pigs and when one was foolish enough to stop and look back Jeff shot at him. The pig took off with a stumble but showed no sign of slowing down as it headed into the dense nasty brush.

It was my pleasure to help in the cleaning of the pig and I found that the larnyx and several vertebrae of the neck were shattered, no wonder she didn't make a squeal.

One ham went to the landowner and the two front legs became some really delicious sausage on Sunday afternoon after a trip through my meat grinder.

Currently the trap is fixed up and ready to be set, there is pig sign on at least of the three ranch segments and it ain't even fall yet.
If you are ever in dire need of a little freezer filler I would recommend a trip to
Gause.

6 Comments:

Blogger brian said...

Nice Shot Jeff. Which rifle did you use?

It sure would be fun to come up for some hogging and dove hunting. I haven't shot a rifle since the last time I was in Gause.

1:22 PM  
Blogger steven-hoffman said...

Someone really knows their bullets.


I will be out of town from Sept. 10 thru Sept. 16 but aside from those times If you come up to BCS I am sure you could stay in the extra bedroom we have. I doubt you would want to leave Houston early enough in the morning to hit Gause by 7:00 AM.

3:35 PM  
Blogger steven-hoffman said...

Someone really knows their bullets.


I will be out of town from Sept. 10 thru Sept. 16 but aside from those times If you come up to BCS I am sure you could stay in the extra bedroom we have. I doubt you would want to leave Houston early enough in the morning to hit Gause by 7:00 AM.

3:35 PM  
Blogger steven-hoffman said...

130 grains is indeed synonymous with the .277 diameter bullet. It is infact difficult to find commercially made cartidges with any other weight of bullet when shopping for the .270 Winchester. I have only once found some 115 grainers. Since I own only a single centerfire rifle I believe I have read every scrap of information written on sectional density, muzzle velocity, total energy at 100, 200 300 yards and all other ballistic type writing on said cartridge. I gotta say that I think I bought a good one.

7:04 PM  
Blogger WOODY said...

CHRIS, PUSHING A 130 GRAIN BULLET OUT THE 300 SHOULD PRODUCE VELOCITIES WELL OVER 3300 FPS, LOOKING AT THE BALLISTICS CHARTS FOR FACTORY LOADS 3500 FPS DOES NOT SEEM UNATTAINABLE WITH THE RIGHT POWDER, PRIMERS, AND SUCH. I AM JUST A LITTLE WEARY OF THE STABILITY OF THE ROUND AT THOSE VELOCITIES. ALSO THE TWIST RATE OF THE BARREL IS NOT GOING TO BE IDEAL FROM THE 300. I THINK THIS MIGHT BE THE REASON I WAS GETTING SUCH POOR RESULTS FROM THE 125 GR THROUGH THE 30-06

9:20 PM  
Blogger steven-hoffman said...

I don't think I would bother shooting a little bullet out of a 300 win mag. The ones you are currently using seem to work OK.

I usually can't even see a critter that is 500 yards away with all the trees and such, so I hardly need to be able to see that far.

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.bactexas.com
Site
Meter <