Blastin' and Castin' in the Texas Outdoors

We havea lot of good times, the road was a drug when we started way back, our wheels rolled on steady, now its forgetting the race to find an open space and leaving that city far behind We’ll be up in the morning before the sun, since anything beats working on the job and everyone knows the early worm gets the fish. The world is your oyster, let the high times carry the low, walk where the sun is shining, lay your burdens down and think to yourself that it sure feels good feeling good again.


Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Reloading pressure and velocity

This may be opening pandora's box but what is the relationship between powder burn rates and the pressures developed.

It is my understanding that higher pressures lead to higher velocities.

Furthermore accuracy should be a function of the standard error associated with velocity/pressure but it should also have some impact from the ballistic coefficient(BC) of the bullet used. I have noticed that published BCs drop dramatically for many bullet designs when velocities over 2800 fps are used.

When I made up the loads for my 270 accuracy went out the window when I raised the powder charge above the one that produced 2900fps on Zeisloft's chronograph. I did not see any visible signs of incomplete powder burn nor did I see problems with overly high pressures. I wish I had a chrono to tell if the velocities on these loads were consistent. I am left with two hypothesis:

1. Higher powder charge not consistently burning completely. This would be verified by erratic muzzle velocities resulting in poor accuracy.

2. Powder is burning fine but velocity is too high for selected bullet. Muzzle velocities would be consistent but accuracy remains poor.

Solution:

1. Change powder to a faster burner?

2. Change bullet?

5 Comments:

Blogger steven-hoffman said...

The bullets I was looking at that don't like over 2900 fps. I looked at two bullets, the ones I was loading and the one closed to the 130 grain bullets I was loading, dumb luck I guess I didn't pick very good bullets for going fast.

.277 caliber

Sierra 90gr JHP
.195 @ 2800 fps and above
.203 between 2800 and 2200 fps
.219 between 2200 and 1800 fps
.240 @ 1800 fps and below

Sierra 130 gr SPT
.370 @ 2700 fps and above
.379 between 2700 and 2200 fps
.383 @ 2200 fps and below



Maybe there is a reason people use these those Matchkings in shooting matches.

Sierra 130 gr SBT does better faster also.


Hornady doesn't break their BCs down by velocity for the ballistic tip bullets I was considering purchasing:

.370 110 gr V-Max

.460 130 gr SST

2:18 AM  
Blogger steven-hoffman said...

58 gr of H 4831 drives a sierra
90 gr JHP at about 2900fps with Winchester primers, shoots into 1.5inches. CCI primers gave same results but the silver primer is less aesthetically pleasing in the brass case.

Same 58 grains of H4831 was the best load of H4831 I could find for the 130gr ballistic tip bullets but I wasn't satisfied with 2+ inches at 100yrds.

58 gr of H 4831 in a .270 cartidge is a supposedly a compressed load but if you aren't seating really deep bullets you can actually squeeze in 60 gr but it don't shoot well.

I followed your previous advice on adjusting seating depth. The same setting leaves hollow points, soft points and ballistic tip bullets a hair back of the lands.

The whole point was I want to change powders and wanted to know if I should move to a little faster powder of a little slower

2:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good design!
[url=http://ffjirgog.com/bnfa/zknm.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://eizudpzb.com/orhw/lnrc.html]Cool site[/url]

10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good design!
My homepage | Please visit

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work!
http://ffjirgog.com/bnfa/zknm.html | http://vxpvansk.com/ssuz/gnrv.html

10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.bactexas.com
Site
Meter <