Blastin' and Castin' in the Texas Outdoors

We havea lot of good times, the road was a drug when we started way back, our wheels rolled on steady, now its forgetting the race to find an open space and leaving that city far behind We’ll be up in the morning before the sun, since anything beats working on the job and everyone knows the early worm gets the fish. The world is your oyster, let the high times carry the low, walk where the sun is shining, lay your burdens down and think to yourself that it sure feels good feeling good again.


Monday, February 06, 2006

Ham Recipe

You guys might have your own recipes but here is what I made last week. It turned out really well. It had the pink color of store-bought ham and it tasted even better. Michelle really like it and she is usually suspicious of the wild game that I cook.



1 cup Kosher salt
1 cup Brown Sugar
½ cup Tender Quick
bay leaves
pickling spice
cloves
1 ½ gallons water
fresh ham (bone-in)

Dissolve salt, sugar, and Tender Quick in ½ gallon warm water. Add remaining water and ice if you want to use the brine right away. Add the seasonings.

Use a sharpening steel to create some holes around the bone and through the center of the meat. Place the ham in brine solution for 4 ½ days (Monday night to Saturday morning). Soak ham in fresh water for 2 hours before cooking. Cook to an internal temperature of 155. Use Hickory wood for flavor.

7 Comments:

Blogger steven-hoffman said...

Sounds interesting. When I made my most successful hams I made a similar brining/spicing solution I used cloves, allspice, cinnamon, brown sugar and some sodium nitrate. Instead of soaking in a big vat of the liquid though I wrapped it in plastic wrap and used the injector needle right through it. This flavored the inside and out real good. Then I wrapped another layer and put it in the bottom drawer of the fridge for a couple days.

Yeah, the pink color is usually a result of using nitrates(tender quick)in the ham/sausage process.

I got really good "ham" color by using some sodium nitrate I bought at readfields's

3:14 PM  
Blogger steven-hoffman said...

apparently a 7lb ham can cost sixty some-odd dollars.

Anyone want to try and fetch up some more ham the weekend of Feb. 17th ?

5:49 PM  
Blogger brian said...

I poked holes in the meat because I wanted to create channels for the brine. I didn't have a brine pump or big syringe. Steve, your method sounds effective.

Next time I'm in town I need to pick up some sodium nitrate from Readfields. I miss that place.

I am interested in going hunting but I need to check my calender. That date sounds familiar.

7:10 PM  
Blogger steven-hoffman said...

Get some chickens in the yard and you'll have it made.


I was speaking of Pork Hams. Where did you take it to have a mule deer leg "hammed".

I read somewhere that recommended cinnamon and clove for pork, I agree but prefer allspice to cloves.

I also know that people from germany often season venison with juniper berrys. This particular one isn't for me however, since I don't care for Gin. A subtler flaver that I like on smoked venison is rosemary and sage.

4:33 PM  
Blogger brian said...

juniper berries - I think that would be good but I've never seen them in the store.

Pickling spice contains a fair amount of all-spice and cloves. I don't really know what else is in there.

2:55 PM  
Blogger brian said...

Chris, I don't know if you can be trusted with one of my honey holes. Just look what happened to your top secret spot by the surfside jetty.

If you don't mind wearing a blind-fold we can probably go fishing.

2:00 AM  
Blogger steven-hoffman said...

you can often buy whole juniper berries at natural food type stores, the hippies think eatin them is good for something or another.

5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.bactexas.com
Site
Meter <